Archive for June, 2010


I washed and blocked a whole bunch of knitting and spinning a few days ago, but will only be posting about the handspun today. In total there were 3 skeins of yarn, one stole, one scarf, the rug waiting to become a blanket, a pair of socks, and a cowl/collar thing. I don’t have any good blocking pictures, so there won’t be a post about everything, but the shawl does need to be reblocked, so there will be a post about that soon.

Raspberries, Belle, Rubies

Here’s a picture of the three yarns, left to right they are Raspberries, Belle, and Rubies.

Raspberries, is approximately 250 yards, 3.64oz, of 100% super-wash merino, from Zen String (now wildflower whimsy) in Raspberry Swirl, ending up at 14wpi. The fiber originally had a lot more white spots that got dyed over and blended together while the yarn was soaking.

Belle has showed up in the past few posts. It is approximately 420 yards, 4.1 oz, also of 100% super-wash merino, from Yarn Love, in the colorway Belle, and ended up at 16wpi. I’m thinking of turning this into a shawlette, or maybe a scarf.

Rubies was last seen in this post, when it was first finished being spun. Both Raspberries and Belle were spun and plied on the wheel, but Rubies was spindle spun and wheel plied. It’s approx 372 yards, 1.55oz, a 70/30 blend of Alpaca/Silk, from Gale’s Art, in Ruby Swirl, and an amazing 28wpi. This will probably end up being a lacy little scarf or a cowl.

I’ll hopefully get the shawl reblocked, as well as some other shawls and scarves blocked soon, and I have a bunch of knitting progress to write about, so I’ll try for more regular posts.



Read Full Post »

Yesterday I got a delivery from Blue Moon Fiber Arts.

STR yarn

The skein on the left is STR lightweight in Gail’s Autumn Joy, and the skein on the right is STR mediumweight in Dragon Dance. Gail’s Autumn Joy is destined to be a semi-lacy scarf inspired by snakeskin, and Dragon Dance is going to be knit into a second Birdy Shawl, with a very much more updated pattern and chart.

With the arrival of these two skeins I have a basket full of yarns to swatch. So, I’m planning on spending a large chunk of tomorrow first fighting with the printer, and then swatching, because other than Icy Fields and Que Sera (which is currently being ignored) I don’t have anything on the needles. So here’s two more Icy Fields photos.

Icy Fields close up

In this photo is a little closer and you can see more of the stitch definition. I’ve knit another 4 or 5 rows since I took the picture and hope to finish up the last two rows of the current repeat tonight.

Icy Fields

And this photo explains why 2 rows before bed tonight will be an accomplishment.

Icy Fields is a stole, and it is knit flat, although in the photo it kind of looks like it’s in the round. It is constructed so that you cast on length-wise, knit one half of the main body, pick up the stitches from the provisional cast on, and knit the second half of the main body. Then you pick up the stitches around the outside and knit outwards, finishing either with a crochet cast off, or a knit on border, I haven’t decided which. It’s progressing slowly but consistently, so long as I don’t force myself to work on it.

Something progressing much faster on the other hand, is Belle.


I finished both singles a few days ago, and started plying this morning, but I don’t have a picture of the plied yarn at the moment. Hopefully this will be done within the next few days, and then I can wash it plus a few other skeins I have lying around.

In other news, Climbing Trellis is up and on Ravelry. I’ll be posting about it, and putting a link up on the sidebar, within the next few days.

My modified 10kH is going amazingly well. I ended up working on it for 13 and a half hours this week, which is making me feel better about the weeks that I kind of slacked off right after school ended. But I will end this post here and go work on Icy Fields.


Read Full Post »

It may have been awhile since I last posted, but I’ve been a little busy. In the past few weeks I’ve…


attempted to stay on track with my hour a day of paperwork. This hasn’t gone great, but I have charted and swatched a few things, began formatting the pattern for A Study in Grey, kept in touch with allĀ  my test knitters for the Arrowhead Stole, scheduled and re-scheduled a photo-shoot more than a few times, and am getting ready to launch Climbing Trellis in the next few days.

Study in Grey

made a very, very, teeny, tiny dent in the copy paper box full of knitting to wash and block. The second photo is my entire living room floor covered in drying knitting.

Blocking Box

Blocking Photo

the Putty Waves scarf off the needles. I’m still looking for a better name though.

Putty Waves scarf

added a bunch of repeats to Que Sera, knit out of a cotton recycled from an old sweater. It’s ready to split for the armholes but,

Que Sera

I’ve put Que Sera down to work on Icy Fields. Which has been on the needles for a ridiculous amount of time and has very recently gone through it’s 3rd or 4th re-design.

Icy Fields

started spinning 4oz of some Yarn Love roving in the colorway Belle.


None of the projects shown in the last post are still on the needles. The project on the bottom turned into a scarf for Lara’s mother’s birthday. It is currently sitting in the pile to be blocked and then gifted. The other two projects were swatches that just weren’t going as planned. The green one got ripped, recently re-charted, and is waiting to be swatched again. The white was going to be Cables and Lace, but the yarn got turned into a blanket/rug instead. I think I’m going to get another fleece or two, and keep adding to the current rug until it’s blanket size. Since it’s a log cabin blanket adding to it over time won’t be that hard.

Rug Blanket 1

Rug/Blanket 2

and most importantly spent some quality time with an adorable kitty.



Read Full Post »